Creativity and risk taking – bedfellows for big ideas.
“The most creative people are willing to work in the shadow of uncertainty.” Ed Catmull, Creativity, Inc.
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far it is possible to go.” T.S. Eliot
“What you have to do and the way you have to do it is incredibly simple. Whether you are willing to do it is another matter.” Peter Drucker
“Do one thing every day that scares you.” Eleanor Roosevelt
These are some of my favourite quotes on this topic. Creativity and risk taking are bedfellows and risk taking is a recognised factor in being creative. What’s your personal attitude to risk? Your company’s? You don’t have to bet the farm. Take little bets now and then and see what happens to your ideas. Ask yourself some questions:
- What’s the riskiest thing you could do? Why is it risky? How could you mitigate the risks?
- Is it riskier to do nothing that something?
- What happens to your existing ideas if you make them MORE or LESS risky?
- What might happen if you take a risk? What might happen if you don’t?
- Can you think of an example of where you have taken a risk personally or professionally and where it has made a positive impact?
Get in touch if you want help to develop your company’s creative culture email@example.com